31st January 2014

Go down

31st January 2014

Post by dancarreg on Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:41 am

The deadline looms and the regions cannot even get to talk to anyone from the WRU so we can assume that they dont care.
After that date one of three things will happen,
1) the regions will fold because of a lack of funding and games, the latter leading to the former. If that happens then most regional players will be snapped up by teams outside of Wales, Ireland are said to be closely watching the situation very carefully, for example.
2) the regions, unable to make any plans for next season, the Blues have already postponed their season ticket release, will be forced to look elsewhere for a future.
3) A sudden, surprising about turn will happen and the regions will reach a successful conclusion to negotiations, and all will be well.

I'm no betting man and I would certainly not put any money on any one of those outcomes.
dancarreg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 31st January 2014

Post by Evans the nine on Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:05 am

I can't imagine that the Irish sides are awash with money and would be able to snap them up. Also the IRFU have also instituted a policy whereby non-Irish qualified players can only be signed on a quota and position basis by each province, so that there are at least 3 qualified players for starting each position between the four provinces.

There is a fourth option - a couple of regions break with the others sign up with the WRU and at least one of the others tries to break away (with uncertain result).

If I had to bet I would say they will all stay in the partnership "for the children"... i.e. together because any alternative is much worse.
Evans the nine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNTYWYN on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:42 am

I may be wrong, but in the back of my mind I seem to remember a few years back some Welsh rugby clubs played sides from England. This was I believe in the first year the English Premiership was set up, and before the introduction of the Celtic League.

I understand that Roger Lewis has met with M.P.'s at Westminster today, which to me is a suggestion that he is not going to back down from his present stance. I would have thought that meeting should have involved other members of the Union as well, in order that the truth is forthcoming. So called past meetings, and discussions do not appear to have been reported accurately, and one wonders whether this is a deliberate attempt to conceal the truth.
The W R U idea of signing centrally contracted players was left far too late, Lewis has waited so long there are hardly any eligible players left in Wales to sign. Signed players must be good enough to guarantee their places and with ten or more destined for foreign fields next season, the system appears flawed.

Action needs to be taken by the players and Regions that will promote a wake up call to the Union; and in my mind the only practical action would be to walk away from Saturdays game versus Italy. Italy of course would be provided with the points, and Wales would probably be penalised with a points deduction; but the real losers would be the Union having to refund all the tickets sold. I imagine a solution would be on the table in a matter of days.
JOHNTYWYN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dancarreg on Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:48 pm

Not so far off, there are still loads of tickets for sale, far more than in normal 6 Nations games, this a sign of the times?

Roger Lewis has been caught out several times being "economic with the truth" not least in his assertion that the RFU dashed hopes of an anglo Welsh league.

Oh, Evans, for the record the Irish courted AWJ and Rhys Priestland, and it's sure that the IRFU would not stand in Munsters, Leinsters or Ulsters way if they wanted a signature.
dancarreg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dancarreg on Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:30 am

RRW's view of Central Contracts.

We hope our supporters will respect that Regional Rugby Wales will not at this particular time be drawn into a public debate around national contracts being offered to our players; we have informed the WRU of our collective position on this issue this week so the governing body are aware of where we are. We will be continuing our focus on key matters of urgency to find solutions to address the future structure and sustainability of Welsh Rugby and still await details of what competitions, distribution and revenues will be relevant to the Welsh Regions next season.

Muted response but an implicit threat.............I think.
dancarreg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evans the nine on Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:19 am

dancarreg wrote:Not so far off, there are still loads of tickets for sale, far more than in normal 6 Nations games, this a sign of the times?

Roger Lewis has been caught out several times being "economic with the truth" not least in his assertion that the RFU dashed hopes of an anglo Welsh league.

Oh, Evans, for the record the Irish courted AWJ and Rhys Priestland, and it's sure that the IRFU would not stand in Munsters, Leinsters or Ulsters way if they wanted a signature.

I can imagine they would countenance AWJ as they have enough locks to meet their quotas, but I doubt that would be the case for RP whilst Dan Parks and Ruan Pienaar are still in contract with their respective provinces.

In terms of money, it all comes to the provinces from the IRFU so ultimately, they call the shots. The only exception I know of is Pienaar - his wages are paid by Rory McIlroy!
Evans the nine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dancarreg on Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:17 pm

Here is RRW's whole statement, I believe that the final two paragraphs are the real important ones..............don't forget, tomorrow is the deadline.
http://www.regionalrugbywales.com/2014/01/29/welsh-regions-position-central-contracts/
dancarreg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down