Welsh Rugby Forum V2.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re organise rugby world wide.

3 posters

Go down

Re organise rugby world wide. Empty Re organise rugby world wide.

Post by JOHNTYWYN Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:35 am

What effect would there be on international, regional and club rugby if the I.R.B. made a ruling that players could only represent the country, club or region related to their birth, and for players who had emigrated by choice of their parents, a ten year residency qualification was required.

At this present time rugby in Wales would be a definite winner, as would rugby in the Pacific Islands at the expense of New Zealand. I imagine player emigration has been going on for many years, and I suspect that Cardiff R F C was amongst the early culprits for recruiting guys from far and wide to their clutches - probably due to the old money in the boot culture. Barry Nelmes, John Scott and Barry John were amongst the most prominent recruits during the last 50 years.

A completely new salary structure would have to be introduced along the lines of modern commercial enterprise. With Union and I.R.B. backing a starting salary would be followed by annual increments and an eventual pension, together with pay enhancements based on International appearances.

Such an idea, which I acknowledge would never happen, would bring the spirit back into rugby. School, College and Junior rugby would leap into action. The famous school masters who the likes of Gareth Edwards accorded so much credit, would reappear in the development of youngsters, and the game of rugby would once again be based on local talent, rather than imported super men who command so much money at the expense of the home grown product.

Undoubtedly West Wales would see the reopening of the factory at Aberflyharf, Cwm Rhomdha would echo around the stadiums at derby matches, and France, void of all their U.K. players would provide good competition for Italy. The Southern hemisphere would remain strong, in particular Samoa, but New Zealand would find themselves less convincing in the Rugby Championship. As for Wales, I am sure we would benefit as much, if not more than any other country, and it would be so great to see our teams take the field full of local boys brought up on our streets.

George North, pack your bags Boyo !!!! We will keep a welcome in the hillside ........
JOHNTYWYN
JOHNTYWYN

Back to top Go down

Re organise rugby world wide. Empty Re: Re organise rugby world wide.

Post by dancarreg Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:37 am

Aye John, not much to disagree with there. Much more to add though.
Summer rugby = one world wide season, and by doing that the domestic season could also be reorganised along these lines. Start with club/provincial rugby, move into regional rugby which would then move seamlessly into Heineken, until finally culminating into 6 Nations and then touring rugby. Of course it will never happen.
Oh, and by the way, under your proposals George North would be wearing white.
Sorry to be bearing such bad news.
dancarreg
dancarreg

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Parish Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:23 am

dancarreg wrote:Aye John, not much to disagree with there. Much more to add though.
Summer rugby = one world wide season, and by doing that the domestic season could also be reorganised along these lines. Start with club/provincial rugby, move into regional rugby which would then move seamlessly into Heineken, until finally culminating into 6 Nations and then touring rugby. Of course it will never happen.
Oh, and by the way, under your proposals George North would be wearing white.
Sorry to be bearing such bad news.

In the current squad:

Luke Charteris, Dan Lydiate, George North, Jonathan Davies and Aaron Shingler were all born in England, Ian Evans was born in South Africa, Toby Faletau was born in Tonga.

Old Parish
Old Parish

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNTYWYN Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:05 am

Yes a few losses there, but what a future the game would have; and with changing the seasons it would be possible to incorporate a four division International World League.
JOHNTYWYN
JOHNTYWYN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down