Gatland stays until 2019..

Go down

Gatland stays until 2019..

Post by TheJones on Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:40 am

In the every bleak news regarding Welsh rugby this is welcome news.
TheJones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gatland stays until 2019..

Post by JOHNTYWYN on Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:48 am

As long as he has a team to coach !!! I think he should have more input into the Regions, after all they are the breeding grounds for his International side. A head teacher does not just concentrate on his A Level students, he concentrates on every stage of their school life
JOHNTYWYN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheJones on Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:21 pm

Its a fair point but we must have stability at the top level of coaching.

There are many points about players leaving and there is an argument that the level beneath International players will be forced forward into their regional sides and have exposure to higher grade rugby which in turn gives Gatland more choice - which is no bad thing.

The total opposite is that the week in week out Welsh regional rugby fan has seen all the international players leave.

It'll not be long before a Wales XV will all be playing their club/regional rugby outside of Wales - which ultimately is a bad thing.

On a wider point I believe the regions have a balls up of this and the WRU are showing their strength. The WRU run the game and that will not change. For instance, when the WRU give a grant of £80,000 to a rugby club to get new kit and balls etc they have every right to be pissed off when all the money was spent on doing up the bar !

Back Gatland - its a good thing.
TheJones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dancarreg on Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:34 pm

Quite clear to me that there are TWO conflicting views on this and the rows.
On the one hand the exile looks on the national team only, and lets be honest, they are doing quite well and maybe outsiders for the World cup.
However, for the home based fan, who earns far less and can rarely afford to go to internationals (cheapest next year £70 with better games up to £85) the regions besides being the LIFEBLOOD for the national squad, are the best regular source of rugby.
Roger Lewis has to as far as I'm told, had exploratory talks with Neath, Pontypridd and RGC1404 about forming three regions to take over when the present ones crash.
Who will in Wales stand by rugby as a spectator sport then?
dancarreg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNTYWYN on Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:30 pm

If the present Regional system was to falter, and the existing Regions liquidate, to be replaced by new Regions based on an idea by R.L. I personally would give up my interest in Rugby Union altogether. I would not even watch it on television.

Warren Gatland has apparently said that those Welsh players moving abroad will quickly become disillusioned with life outside Wales, and will start to return home within two years. Does he realistically think there will be anything for them to come home to in two years; our domestic game will be decimated !! Meanwhile us poor sods are expected to keep the turnstiles turning to watch village green rugby. In two years time most turnstiles will be rusted up!!!

By extending W.G.'s contract to 2019 R.L. has committed the W.R.U. to an undisclosed but massive expenditure; it is very sad that a similar commitment cannot be made to the Regions.
The destruction of Welsh rugby will not look good on W.G's c.v.; Tonga watch this space in 2019 !!
JOHNTYWYN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dancarreg on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:25 am

Gatland has got himself a good deal, but it's not one that he can't wriggle out of if his declared preferred job of coaching the AB's came vacant, then he'd be off like a shot.
The problem children in this have to be Roger Lewis, David Pickering and the WRU board, met the Supporters clubs yesterday but little of worth came out of it.
dancarreg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down